Monday, July 31, 2006

Sunday was spent in a productive manner

First of all, I dyed some yarn. Parents went to the hospital to see grandpa (his legs probably won't fall off. He's healthy. It's up to him whether he stands up andstarts to walk.. or rather limp. He doesn't want to) so I had an hour of time. I had already prepared something before - the Angel yarn had to get a touch of pink and green so I made the balls into very long skeins, one end I dipped into the bordeaux shade, very diluted, one into green, wrapped it in foil and left to process for two days on the sunny balcony (needs 60-80 degrees... it could have been there on the dark tiles). Just to make sure, I baked it in the oven for a while and it didn'tbleed colors, then). And made one purple and one chromoxide flame green ball (it said verde claro on the bag with the dye.. the Spaniards have a different view on colours, apparently). The colours were lovely but as I boiled the balls whole as they were, it's not dyed solid. (A hint: mix the colour powder with water. Dip the ball into it. Let it soak. Long. Then only add the vinegar and boil it. Not as I did it, ball into water and then add the colorant... either I"ll leave it like that or redye it someday...). And managed somehow to get a range of kingfisher colours on that alpaca-something mixture of which the internet shop said needles 5-6 and it's damn thin. I'm not making any lace... anyway, the colours came out nice but the yarn is still drying so I'll see (and let you see) later. All of this I managed in 40 minutes, including cleanin gup the kitchen and to cover up the rancid smell of vinegar all over the house, I started to clean the kettle - in which moment Mom arrived with Dad and grandma, she was pissed off, wanted a coffee, I said not now, I'm cleaning the kettle, she said something not very nice about doing stupidities (one can never do enough, apparently)...
Later on I went into hiding upstairs, did some cleaning, washed the balls (I just shoved them into a bucket and blue was still dripping off them) and let the things dry. The torrid heat even made the tiger of the household lie flat instead of poking her nose into everything. It was pretty windy too, so in the evening I got five skeins of Alpine meadow color scheme - it's not visible on the pic but the yarn has little shiny pieces in it and they absorbed more colour so they flash in it, I rewound them into a useful shape and started a sample. I want, for quite a time, to make something in Elsbeth Lavold style, lots of cables.... I wasn't sure about the fluffy yarn and cables but on the swatch it came out nice. Definitely better than the plain knit. So I started and after two rows found myself in the Moebius stripe again:-). Oddly enough, I"m always careful and in 70% cases I manage to do that...
But, meantime, when the stuff was drying, I started to cleaning up my closet. After a while I realized that I could open my own second-hand clothes store. I decided to be cruel, all things I don't wear, don't like wearing and don't plan wearing will go. The cashmere sweater Mom gave to me (saying that I need something decent to wear) I gave back to her. It gives me itches and i hate cashmere sweaters. And thin sweaters regardless of material. All the rest went to the rubbish or to two huge palstic bags for later use by someone else, somewhere else. I discovered that I have amounts of odd socks, a huge collection of torn fishnet stockings, considerable amount of underwear of weird colors, although it's due to my Mom's idea that pastel colors are variations of black so why not to wash it together... I think she stopped when I screamed that she destroyed my brand new and hell of an expensive bra, she said someting offensive but later on... later on I basically moved away:-). Anyway, all this stuff was simply thrown away. And I discovered things. Mom still sometimes buys me clothes. One of the oddest objects was a salmon pink lace bra, size 85D. Accompanied by some story like 'I've passed that lite cute shop there and they just had a sale and you said you could use some piece of lace...' Mom is decided that I"m obese but my size just incidentally happens to be 75C. Maybe if I stuffed some straw in.... And many 'so nice summery and cute, you can wear it at the seaside' tops (I get to seaside once a year, say Yeah, wait five minutes and go to try and findsomething entertaining), several things of the 'if you needed to go to opera' type, usualy something black and ugly of which mom decided that it's the sporty style I usually wear. I found a heap of things acquired under pressure... 'You said you need this or that so buy something, we've been to five shops and you're not content'... and things of origin uncertain, things I got bored with, things of which mother kept saying 'you don't look that fat in this' for that long that I started to hate them... In a cetain moment there was everything spread on the floor and other things and it looked ghastly. THen I simply divided it to Things I wear now, Winter things, Things I'lll wear when I'm back to my size 40 and To be given away and suddenly there was nothing on the floor but for two big bags of things and some mixed rubbish. I just regretted that old socks cannot be composted. Htere would be a nice compost heap.